Visas for France: partial reopening & FAQ [fr]


As of June 29, 2020, the visa department of the Embassy is able to issue certain categories of long-stay visas; the issuance of short-stay visas remains excluded, in accordance with the restrictions adopted by the French authorities with regard to access to national territory, due to the global health context.

The date for the complete reopening of the French borders is not yet known. This website will be updated when the issuance of visas is again opened to all categories.
Find answers to the frequently asked questions here. And keep up to date by consulting our website regularly!

Last update: 10 November 2020

1- What visas are currently issued by the visa department?

Since 29 June 2020, the visa department issues certain types of visa, in accordance with the restrictions adopted by the French authorities with regard to access to national territory.
The visa department is able to consider visa requests ONLY for visas from the following categories:

  • Student (short or long stay, « visa retour »*…)
  • Spouse of French national (long stay)
  • Talent Passport
  • Salarié Détaché ICT
  • Foreign officials taking up duties in France (diplomats, holders of official passports, etc.)
  • Official passports for all kind of stay

None of the requests for other visa categories will be received or processed. Requests sent by email, which do not correspond to the priority categories set out above, will not be processed.

The date for the complete reopening of the French borders is not yet known. The website will be updated when the reception of visas is opened again to all categories.

2- What should I do if my residence permit or receipt for a residence permit renewal request has expired or will expire during the suspension of flights and I wish to return to France?

You are eligible for an automatic extension of 180 days of your residence permit, long-stay visa (long stay visas VLS-TS, VLS-T used or not, or VLS valid for three months with a residence permit ("carte de séjour") to be requested, used or not), provisional residence permit or your receipt for a residence permit renewal request if they expired between 16 March and 15 June 2020.

A Visa Retour has to be requested if :

  • Your resident permit expired before 16 March or after 15 June 2020
  • You have a “Récépissé de Carte de séjour » (FIRST DEMAND APPLICATION) even if it is still valid.

3- Who is authorized to enter France as an exemption from the border closure?

  • Foreign nationals with a French or European residence permit, as well as their spouses and children, who are travelling to their place of residence;
  • Foreign nationals carrying out international goods transport;
  • Foreign healthcare professionals, for the purposes of combating the spread of COVID-19.
  • Student
  • Diplomats and Official Passport
  • Talent Passport
  • Salarié Détaché ICT

4- What should I do if my spouse or child of foreign nationality has no visa or residence permit?

Foreign spouses and children of French and European nationals with neither visa nor residence permit who need to enter France may, in urgent cases, contact the visa service of the Embassy of France in Malaysia ( to submit their request.

5- Once I get my visa, what should I do prior departure to France ?

From 7th of November, travelers coming from Malaysia are strongly encouraged to take a PCR test done less than 72 hours before their departure. Travellers who do not provide such a negative PCR test will have to carry out a two-week quarantine at a location of their choice or, where appropriate, in special accommodation.

It should be noted that some airline companies may request a negative test before departure, we strongly advise you to check with the airline company.

You will have to fill-up the International Travel Exemption Certificate for Metropolitan France as well as with a declaration that you do not have COVID-19 symptoms, which can be downloaded on the Ministry of the Interior’s website ("Attestation de déplacement dérogatoire vers la France métropolitaine depuis les pays tiers" > English). You must present this certificate to airline companies, as well as to border control authorities (for travel by air, sea and land, including by rail).

Furthermore, please be informed that since 29th October, France is in lockdown. Only few imperatives reasons to be outdoor are allowed, and an exemption certificate must be fill-up, for every outdoor’s trip (the certificate can be downloaded here).

Non-compliance to this movement control may result to penalties, from 135€ to 3750€.

6- You are looking for additional information ?

Latest modification 11/11/2020

top of the page